Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Content of Character

Character:
1. moral or ethical quality: a man of fine, honorable character.
2. qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity: It takes character to face up to a bully.
In Dr. King's famous I have a dream speech. He talked about a day when all men would be judged not by the color of their skin but, by the content of their character.
This is perhaps the most profound statement that I have ever heard.
Unfortunately these days character has become the exception and not the rule. In an ever changing society, it almost seems as if the world had been turned upside down. Perversion, and carnality masquerade as individual freedom, and much of society lives for self gratification. Most have no regard for other human beings unless they fulfill a need, or a desire. It seems as if the very definition of human nature has been used to justify a lack of conscience.
It is becoming more and more difficult to set a standard and live our lives following Jesus Christ because we live in a wicked world. True Christianity has almost become peculiar in a tangible world in which people celebrate only that which they can see, touch, taste, and feel. But I am writing this to declare that there is nothing like being touched by the love of God. He is the only one strong enough to carry all 240lbs of me, my burdens, and my mess in the palm of his hand. I am proud of my peculiarity, and I love being an odd ball, not living as the world lives but following the principals that were written to guide me through his word. I am not perfect, I have made mistakes, and as long as I walk this earth I will continue to do so. But I will never compromise my character.
I relish going against the grain and being a non-conformist, because Jesus went against the grain, and was a non-conformist. I take great pride in feeling convicted when I have thoughts of sin because it is a sign that I am growing in Christ. My conviction makes me strong because I realize that The Lord has placed a seed in my soul, and my character is being nurtured as it grows. That which does not grow, withers and dies. Some folks have life but do not live, while others live yet have no life. The difference is, those of us who have a true life in Christ will always live! Be proud of your character.

PR


No comments:

Post a Comment