Monday, February 18, 2013

Hustle & Slow

We all know at least one person like this. You know, that person who just can't seem to get their life together. 41, doing the same thing that they were doing when they were 21. They're quick to hustle for quick solutions that never last, and slow to realize that they need to grow up. These people blame everybody else for their failures because when they take stock of themselves they quickly come to the conclusion that their incompetence has sparked self implosion time and time again. The reality of this fact is a hard pill to swallow so joy and comfort is found in irresponsibility without accountability.
It is a sad state of affairs when an adult chooses to be like Peter Pan, a lost child forever in limbo, and denial. Some people relocate for a fresh start and some even attempt to make a change because living life on a roller coaster has left them drained from the ups and downs. But if you send an idiot to the moon, that doesn't suddenly make them a genius. They have to decide that they are tired of being an idiot and then take the steps to no longer being one. Other wise the location changes and the condition stays the same. In other words its not the location that needs to be changed it is the mind that needs to be changed.
Everybody needs help sometimes, and I thank God for placing people in my life who love me enough to have been there for me when I've needed them. That doesn't mean that I continually lean on them as if they were crutches, and it doesn't mean that I look for them to pick me up each and every time I fall. It simply means that I am blessed. But I don't take it for granted by using someones else's generosity as a safety net. I am first and foremost, a grown man, and a responsible adult, willing to do whatever it takes to take care of my family, and myself. My plans are not a hustle, a scam, or a game. My plans are long term, stable ideas that will sustain my family unit in the future. Not short term, half-baked, schemes for momentary happiness. This is not what being an adult is all about. There are a lot of people who have grown in age but have not matured to the point of adulthood. Some don't want to, others don't choose to and some refuse to. But as the years fly by and the morning of their lives goes into the evening and afternoon, they look back with bitter regret, and wish they could take the nonsense back, and do life all over again. If you are this person, don't use being offended as an excuse not to take ownership. Remember, not taking ownership is part of what got you here. Go into a dark room, do some soul searching, and take stock of who you are. If you love who you are, not like, or can deal with who you are, but love you are. Then this blog is not for you. I am not a magician. But if after careful consideration and honesty you truly recognize yourself, grow up!
On the other hand, if this is someone that you know, don't be a crutch for them. Helping someone who cannot help themselves because of circumstances beyond their control, or is trying to help themselves is one thing. But enabling a grown man or woman to continuously be shiftless is quite another.
No one in this world is going to give you anything. So stop trying to take it, and earn your own.

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment