Friday, July 27, 2012

Why Is It That Suddenly Anything Goes?

Recently I saw a disturbing photo on Facebook. It was the picture of a pre teen boy proudly posing in a dress! Almost as disturbing were some of the comments that followed. People said things like, we should love him because as Christians we should love everybody. But since when does love mean acceptance. The reason that I set standards for my children is because I love them and I have certain expectations of them. My son once said that he wanted to be a Pro Wrestler but I didn't run out and sign him up with the WWE. My youngest daughter decided once that she wanted to be called "Hello Kitty Brown" but I didn't run out and change the name on her birth certificate in the name of being supportive. I just explained to both of them difference between fantasy and reality. I also explained to them the fact that just because something seems good to you does not mean that it is good for you.
One of the things that makes us a civilized society is the fact that we don't indulge, or give creedence to every urge and impulse. My job as a father is to guide my children in the right direction because they are not mature enough to guide themselves, or make their own decisions. Our job as a Christians is to set a standard for others to follow by being Christ like, not to rationalize the actions of those who are in the world by encouraging the way they live their lives. If we don't stand up for what is right, it's the same as condoning what is wrong. I realize that everyone is influenced by a certain set of circumstances but we have to try to promote positivity especially in our children, not encourage immorality.

PR



No comments:

Post a Comment