Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Handcuffed For Candy!!!!


Marlena Wordlaw, the mother of a 6-year-old girl, is up in arms after she says her daughter was handcuffed like a criminal and put under a flight of stairs in her school after she was caught stealing candy from her teacher's desk.

Her daughter, Madisyn Moore, recounted what happened when she was cuffed. "They hurted," she said. "He snatched me out of my class. He made me get out in my handcuffs."

Wordlaw said that she arrived 50 minutes after she was told about her daughter taking the candy and was shocked to find out that her daughter had been handcuffed. She confronted the security guard responsible. "I said, 'Why you have my baby in 'cuffs?' He said, 'Because I'm trying to teach them to stop taking stuff that don't belong to them.'" Wordlaw said that what made the situation even worse was the fact that her daughter was put under the stairs.

“I’m more angry than anything, because she's my only daughter. I feel like anything could have happened to her. Somebody could have touched her. She’s in the dark under the stairs."

Chicago Public Schools has yet to make a statement about the incident, but Wordlaw says that the school's priniciple has apologized. Still, the angry mother says she plans to sue over the incident. 

There has always been a level of disdain an disrespect for African-Americans across the board. But there is something that is exceptionally disturbing about dehumanizing a child. The innocent among us, who make mistakes simply because they're children. But what is even more disturbing is the fact that I have never heard of a narrative in which a white child has been treated this way. It's one thing to protect ourselves in the present. But we need to start protecting our future. Which is exactly what our children are.

PR

2 comments:

  1. THIS WAS NOT ONLY OVER CANDY!!! THE CHILD CLEARLY WAS WRONG BY HITTING, KICKING, AND KNOCKING OVER A BOOK SHELF, AND THE PARENTS HAVE BEEN LETTING THESE TANTRUMS GO FOR A FEW YEARS NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO DOES THAT MEAN THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDCUFFED?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete