Monday, November 16, 2015

Tragedy In Paris: What About Black People?

Over the past few days I've noticed a slow unraveling on social media. People asking why African-American's are supporting Paris in the wake of Friday's terror attack in which 129 people were murdered in cold blood, when the majority of us don't support our own communities. But the question is. What do they mean by "support"? Have we become so desensitized, dehumanized, and bitter as black people that we cannot feel empathy or sympathy for anyone else?
Hasty comparisons of the terrorist attacks in Paris and the murder rate in black communities across the country are rediculous. First of all, the murders in the black community are not terrorist attacks planned and executed to killed numerous people based on a false principal. The murders in the black community are perpetrated from one to another based on self hatred and ignorance. We have become our own worst enemies having to fear our next door neighbor's, childhood friends, and classmates. The best way that we can support our communities is by raising our children to have self-worth, intelligence, understanding and an appreciation for humanity.
Just because I pray for that people in Paris, it does not mean that I no longer feel anger or no longer care about police brutality. Just because I pray for Paris that does not mean that I am not keenly aware of the devastation that has been and still is happening in the black community. 
All it means is that my mind, my heart, and my soul have the capacity to feel for anyone. Even those who are not a part of my community.

PR

No comments:

Post a Comment